The Journey to Kennedy

This is about our daughter Kennedy Grace in Vietnam and the journey to bring her home.

Monday, January 29, 2007

Welcome to America!

We made it! Whoever coined the phrase "there's no place like home " knew what they were talking about. With that said "Welcome to America Kennedy Grace Bayer!"
This child can not be more perfect. Not one tear the whole way home! That includes 6 hours at the airport in Hanoi waiting standby for a flight, 5 hour standby in Seoul and racing through Dallas to make another flight! And when we got home she walked up to everyone like she knew them all her life. She already has her daddy, brothers and sisters wrapped around her little finger. My husband Mike is so funny, he said at the airpot mind you " If they were all this easy and potty trained we could do this again!" Ha Ha Mike! Very funny. Our son Cody who is 21 and wasn't for this adoption at all is in love. He asked me if he could take her to show his friends! had to say no on that one but maybe later. Our son Dustin stayed home on a Saturday night (unheard of when your 17) and then wanted to take her to his Sunday school class! Again no on that request. What is really sweet is my daughters Jordan and Cameron 11 & 7 or also known as "Kennedys other mothers" smother her with so much attention it is to precious. I think Kennedy must think they are Vietnamese because when she is around them she just talks and talks to them as much as a 2 1/2 year old can in vietnamese. They just shake thier heads and smile. Our oldest Michael is out of town and has not met her yet.
She is already sleeping all night and we went to church yesterday and again she was awesome. As soon as I find my camera I will post some pictures.
So let me tell you how God got us home. Miracle after miracle. First as you know we flew standby which means you wait to see if seats are availble. The week before the group I travled with was told there were no tickets out, everything was booked until Feb 1st. So I went on Orbitz and wrote down every single flight we could take from Haoni to Seoul, I was thinking "ok, one country at a time." Well my husband emailed me on Thursday before we left about a flight that left at 1 am from Hanoi to Seoul. Now I never saw that flight at all when I pulled flights up. Michelle and Tony who traveled with us also never were told about the flight, but all of the sudden this flight appears...looks good, get to the ticked counter as we have waited 6 hours and someone at AA in America had put infant on Kennedys standby ticket instead of child so I had to buy her a $520 ticket to Seoul! At least I had the money and we got on the flight, this mystery flight. We arrived in Seoul, went to Korean Air to get on the standby list of a overbooked flight and same thing... I have to buy a child ticket $1500 one way to Dallas! I don't have the money and they will not budge, I get a lump in my throat the size of Texas and my mother in law whips out her credit card and says give us a ticket. Now since me and her are flying standby I ask if we will be able to get on if we buy Kennedy a ticket. Right then 5 hours before the flight they give us our boarding pass which isn't done when you are flying standby until the last minute! We get on the flight and we realize we had gotten the last 3 seats they had! You could not have squeezed one more person on that plane!
Then we get to Dallas and just make our connecting flight! Oh and all the flights were smooooth! Know one will every convince me that God does not answer prayers! Everyone was praying for us and He answered! Oh one more thing. I thought how are we going to pay my mother in law back? Well God answered that one also!
So I give God all the glory! How to people live without God in their lives is a mystery to me!
Know we begin our new life with Mighty One! More post and pictures to come. I need to go find my camera!

3 Comments:

  • At 7:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh Elaine....WELCOME HOME to you, Mike's mom and Kennedy! Your journey home was truly amazing. I know you are so thankful for the entire trip. I know you must be quite jet-lagged but thankful that God brought you home safely and in His time. Praise Him!!!!
    I loved your post about how Kennedy "knew" everyone at the airport. I know you have lots of settling in to do, but it looks like Kennedy is going to make it all very easy. I know you waited a long time for this precious child of God, and now she is finally a part of your family and life. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Love, Kim

     
  • At 8:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Welcome home!!! I'm so happy everything came together for you. What a wonderful feeling having all your family together at last :)

     
  • At 8:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Welcome home!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home